Saturday 1 May 2010

Reflections on a Great Weekend

Hard to believe it's a week since we were deep in the Yorkshire Dales, but about this time last Saturday we would have been finishing lunch at the Wensleydale Creamery in Hawes, having just made one of the most exciting descents ever.

One of our team touched 52 mph, although we all chickened out and used our brakes (in my case, frequently) on our way down that amazing hill. The only descent I've done that came close was the one into Nenthead (the highest village in England), on our last two coast to coast rides.

Of course, there will be some bigger 'hills' come September, when we cross various mountain ranges between Paris and Venice, not least the Alps and the Dolomites.

It's the climbs that count, though, and although the hills in Yorkshire are amazingly steep in places, we will be testing our endurance as much as anything on those long ascents this autumn.

So we plan to go back to the Dales in July to seek out some of the longer, steadier climbs. That's only about ten weeks before we set sail for the trip itself. We also have a weekend in the Cotswolds in two weeks' time and I'm planning two 100 mile rides in June, the Norwich 100 on the 6th and the Bury St Edmunds event on the 13th.

Those 'one-hundreds' will be good for stamina-building, although I don't yet know what bike I'll be riding. Last time I did the Norwich 100 I used my road bike, but it's not really comparable with a loaded tourer, so I may still be on my mountain bike, with panniers. John plans to do the Norwich event on the tandem with his wife, so I'll probably be riding alone, which will be interesting.

If a kind sponsor would like to step forward with the offer of a more suitable touring bike, I'll be very grateful! But I already have my first bit of corporate sponsorship from Shutt Velo Rapide, who kindly sent me one of their very tasty marino-mix jerseys. When I get a good picture of me wearing it I'll post one here.

Anyway, more on our training plans and progress later!

Roy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home