Wednesday 24 August 2011

Just Ticking Over

With no major rides planned, it hasn't been easy to motivate myself to train lately, but a warm afternoon and a bit of work-related stress made an hour on the bike seem a much more attractive proposition on Monday.

There's also the possibility I might get to ride with brother in law John at the weekend and it pays to be at least semi-fit for that!

So I did a fairly gentle 15 miles - I even stopped to pick and eat a few blackberries at halfway - and I remembered right away what I'd been missing. I have been running more in the last few weeks but my cycling legs hadn't completely deserted me!

I didn't even time myself for the outward half, although I had half an eye on my average speed. Fueled by those blackberries, I found the return amazingly smooth. Despite slightly soft tyres and not really 'digging in' I almost exactly matched my last ride on the route while feeling like I was just ticking over for most of it.

I think the running has helped me aerobically, but I expected to feel weaker on the climbs than I did. 

It's encouraging to know I haven't lost too much fitness in the three weeks since I last rode - and running has helped not hindered that - but a bit frustrating, if I dwell on it, to know that I won't be putting it to good use!

Roy

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home