Thursday 28 July 2011

Review of the Gelert Solo Tent I Used for Paris to Venice

You can, if necessary, get everything you need for a two-week expedition without spending a fortune. 

For a start, you probably have quite a few items you can adapt or make do with. In my case, for example, I used a £10 Millets backpack as a perfectly serviceable top bag (it contained my bargain priced Millets sleeping bag), but a lightweight tent is vital for cycle touring and I didn't have one of those.

After some research I took a chance on one of the cheapest tents I could find, the Gelert Solo One Man Tent, weighing in at just 1.5kg:
I was a bit concerned about the low waterproof rating (1500mm head) and the small dimensions, but other users had stayed dry through rainy nights and at least one person taller than me had used it successfully. As it was only £25 on Amazon it would be a bargain, even if it fell apart after a fortnight.

Conclusion
It is small - you might say cramped - but I was comfortable enough lying down, and the Gelert Solo kept me dry and warm on some cold and rainy nights. Being low, it's very good on windy nights, too, AND it was still as good as new at the end of the trip.

The full length opening is essential for climbing in and out, but as long as you're reasonably agile, not too tall (no taller than about 181cm or 6ft) and only plan to sleep in, you will find it perfectly adequate, too.

The Solo is obviously a popular buy and the price has risen since last year, but it's still available via Amazon for under £32, including free delivery. You can buy it here:

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

29 July 2011 at 01:38  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home